Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 12:07:57 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'Gary Palmer'" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: MD5 v. DES?

"J.A. Terranson" wrote in message ID
<01BD8B6C.68192890@w3svcs.mfn.org>:

> Actually, this question is nonsensical, as MD5 and DES are
> two *entirely* different things.

So, in general, you are right. However, in this case I believe we are
talking about password functions, and there *is* a relevance to the
comparison.

[=]  I was not aware of the context (I was responding to
"digested" 8-> form of the original message (having never
seen the original) which did not make the context clear...

Within this context, I would submit that DES is the "better"
function, as it is not subject to "birthday" problems, I do realize
however, in the *real* world, this is probably not a *real* issue...

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org