Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:45:18 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Joaquin Menchaca <linuxuser@finnovative.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What CD to use for installatoin

Joaquin Menchaca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are 4 images, and I am not sure which one to use to start out
> with: bootonly, miniinst, or disc 1.
> I read some FreeBSD books, the big orange* one and the brown one**,
> and from both I cannot find this simple newbie answer. :-)
>
> thanks,
> Joaquin Menchaca
>

> * *FreeBSD Unleashed (2nd Edition) *by Brian Tiemann, Michael Urban
> *** The Complete FreeBSD, Documentation from the Source (4th Edition)*
> by Greg Lehey

5.3-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso (Boot Only, Literally)
5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso (Everything you need to do a full install of
FreeBSD, X11 disto, popular packages)
5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso (A Live CD / System Recovery, more popular
packages)
5.3-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso (Everything you need to do a full install
of FreeBSD)

You want ether disc1 or miniinst. disc1 is more or less for newbies.

miniinst is everything you need to setup a full install of FreeBSD (base
system, full src, ports system, full docs, etc.) but It does not have
the X11 disto. personally I like to download this one because the first
things I do after I get FreeBSD installed is install cvsup (from ports,
it'd be nice if this one package was included on this CD), cvsup new
ports, configure make.conf, install the X11 distro (from ports), install
portupgrade (from ports), install Links (from ports), etc.... I like to
use the ports system, not packages as they get stale very quickly, so
this CD has everything I need.