Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:09:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD panic with umass

:Hmm, good stuff, but shouldn't something be committed anyway? I mean if it
:causes a panic just by plugging in the device that's totally unacceptable.
:I'll provide a backtrace of the crash on my computer tomorrow I suppose (I
:won't be home until then) and let people know if that's what's causing my
:crash.
:
:Ken

    Yes, but it isn't quite that easy.  I did fix the incorrect sense
    code issue with UMASS, but that's only one of the potentially many
    problems that could occur.  It would probably also help (give us more
    deterministic panics / errors) if the read_capacity structure were
    at least bzero'd by CAM/SCSI.

    But half the problem is with the USB devices themselves.  The device
    firmware for many of these devices, especially the Sony, was written
    by idiots.  The entire USB specification was written by idiots IMHO.
    For example, the Sony will respond with garbage, and no error whatsoever,
    to just about any page inquiry command you send it.  The Sony doesn't
    even return reasonable data for the code pages that the USB spec requires!

    Ultimately this means that the best we can do is to try to ensure that
    garbage data doesn't result in a system panic.  That's a fairly tall
    order for such a low level subsystem.

						-Matt