Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:43:29 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Corey Holcomb-Hockin <crsntlvs@ipeg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Athlon XP motherboards that work well with FreeBSD

# crsntlvs@ipeg.com / 2002-10-10 15:43:36 -0700:
> I've been having trouble with my a7a-133.  I had trouble with XFree86,
> and with a tv card.   I'd like to know some motherboards that work well
> with FreeBSD?
>
> Someone didn't have the same troubles with  soltek SL-75DRV2
> <http://www1.soltek.com.tw/English/product/75drv2.htm>;

    looks like the solteks are fine. you might want to take DRV4 or
    DRV5.

> I've bought asus card because my hp pavillion had a asus card with a via
> chipset.  I read after that they don't document their boards so that
> open source developers can support all the features easily.  Whats a
> more open motherboard brand?  Are Via chipsets the best supported? The
> card I'm having trouble with has a acer chipset.

    i also wanted to buy asus when i was going for a new box, but during
    the research i found out that people were having trouble getting X
    up with some of the asus boards. X was essential since i was
    upgrading my desktop, so i went with abit KR7A (the no-raid version,
    VIA KT266A chipset), and i'm really happy with it.

    btw, there was a Athlon XP mobo test in the august issue of the
    czech Chip magazine, and they got the best numbers from
    a DFI AD76 RAID mobo. VIA KT333 chipset, Promise 20276, onboard
    sound (Realtek RTL8100). if i was buying a new mobo i would go for
    this one.

    (i have no experience with DFI mobos. maybe someone could chime in?)

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC