Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:09:06 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        desmond james <desmondjames@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring sound

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 06:37:07PM +0000, desmond james wrote:
> I need help configuring my sound. I was using the freeBSD hand book
> accomplish this task. I have on board sound, and added the option:
>
> options PNPBIOS
>
> into the kernel, as the handbook said, and restarted my system. The kernel
> loaded but I had no sound. When I start X, KDE gives me the following
> message:

Back up. Don't fret about X until we get the basics taken care of. Not
until you have a pcm in dmesg, and mixer(8) behaves. This is a fairly
recent FreeBSD? The instructions you quote sound quite old.

Also you don't say anything about your sound hardware.

In dmesg you do no list a pcm device so there is no wonder you don't
have sound. As root type, "kldload snd.ko". Then check dmesg again to
see if something was found. Or simply type "mixer" to see if there is a
sound device you can set volume levels on.

If kldload probes found something then based on its entry in dmesg you
might be able to guess exactly which /modules/snd_*.ko you need and load
only that one in the future. Most automatically load snd_pcm.ko too.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net