Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:06:44 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS deleting ports?

Tom Parquette (tparquet@twcny.rr.com) wrote:

> I've transcribed my supfile below.  My undetstanding was cvs-all would
> bring down "everything" (including the ports.)
> Any helo would be appreciated since I would not even call my self a CVS
> novice.
> Cheers...
>
> # usr/src/hercules-supfile
> *default host=cvsup3.freebsd.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> cvs-all

There is only one branch of the ports collection, the "current"
branch.  Your supfile is probably acquiring the ports collection
from the "RELENG_4" branch, which is non-existent for the ports.
You normally acquire ports from cvs by requesting ports-all, with
a tag=.

I usually request exactly what I need, rather than using the cvs-all
collection. My 4.x-STABLE supfile looks exactly like yours, but instead
of the "cvs-all" line, I have this:

src-all
doc-all
ports-all tag=.