Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:27:43 +0200
From:      Rocky <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

David Kramer wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Paul Everlund wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, David Kramer wrote:
>>

>>>I have to go through the collection of ports and make sure everything I
>>>need is there, but I'm sure it is.  BTW, is there a way to check what
>>>software is installed on your box?  Is there an automated way of
>>>uninstalling ports?  I couldn't find this info on freebsd.org.
>>>

>>Take a closer look at pkg_info, pkg_delete and pkg_add. You can also
>>

>I thought ports and packages were two different things.  But if packages
>can me managed as explained above, and ports can be managed as explained
>below, then my concerns are covered.
>

>>delete an installed port by going to /usr/ports/*category*/*app*/,
>>then make deinstall.
>>

>THANK YOU!!!!  This was another thread on the BLU mailing list recently.
>I said that if Makefiles had a "make uninstall" to undo "make install", I
>would be much more likely to use them than RPM's, as I am opposed to
>management tools that track their information in databases that
>require a special application to view and change, instead of text files,
>which can be managed any way one wants.
>
>Do most ports have a "make deinstall" option?

AFAIK, all ports have a "make deinstall".
Other make targets that you could try in the ports three includes,  but
are not limited to; fetch, configure, clean, distclean, reinstall, or
just simply "make" without target.
Most of them are self explainatory, unless maybe clean and distclean.
Basically, make clean removes leftovers from previous builds or maybe a
failed compile, while distclean erases the .tgz that are downloaded and
stored in /usr/ports/distclean.

And just to clearify my previous wish to kill the thread: I was
reffering to the "long live the penguin" posts that was more  of a
"linux rulez, bsd sucks" or vice versa discussion. As long as it
contains questions, facts or comments on BSD I dont mind it at all.