Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:10:43 -0700
From:      John Plevyak <jplevyak@inktomi.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, dick@tar.com, jplevyak@inktomi.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: flock + kernel threads bug

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 10:24:50PM -0400, Luoqi Chen wrote:

> This is a different (bigger) problem, i.e. pid sharing among threads,
> it is also desirable for signal handling. I doubt that which id is stored in
> the lock really matters, and this issue will go away as soon as we solve
> the bigger pid sharing problem.
>
> For the current problem at hand, we want a solution that works for both
> threads and non-threads.

I see what you mean: since the PIDs would be stored in the table it matters
little what they are so long as they are unique.  The patch does prevent
conflicts with recycled PIDs for what it is worth.

So, there are 2 solutions for this problem, but they are
not in conflict as they are really general solutions in different
domains, and I can envision both eventually being used for different
reasons.

Given that, I guess I am proposing the idea of using of storing
process specific information in p->p_leader and preventing the
leader from terminating as a step in moving toward more standard
kernel thread semantics.  I am also motivated since it fixes a
bug which I find particularly onerous.

Regarding storing the PIDs with the fds: I like the idea, but
I understand that NFS locking also has issues and I am wondering
how if those might be addressed as well by a locking solution.

john

--
John Bradley Plevyak,    PhD,    jplevyak@inktomi.com,     PGP KeyID: 051130BD
Inktomi Corporation,  1900 S. Norfolk Street,  Suite 310,  San Mateo, CA 94403