Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:56:49 -0600
From:      "Mike Grommet" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Virtual Hosting with FreeBSD vs BSDI

Hi guys.  Chalk one up for the good guys.  I convinced management
to let me set up a freebsd box for virtual web hosting when we discovered we
were over our licensing on our BSDI servers.

Quick question:

When setting up virtual hosts on BSDI, I use this type of
setup
ifconfig lo0 alias <ip quad>
and then a
arp -s blah blah blah

Now from what I see in the freebsd list and such is that to set up the ip
situation, I just need to do this in the rc.conf
ifconfig_vx0_alias0="inet <IP QUAD> netmask 255.255.255.0"

I note two major differences here, first the bsdi aliases the loopback
where freebsd does a direct alias to the network device...

also bsdi wants me to do an arp -s...

Do I need the arp entry for freebsd?  The answer to my question would be
nice, but I am also very interested as to the "why" of the answer.

Which method is best?