Date:      Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:28:41 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a sort ?

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On 07/08/05 09:51 AM, Daniel Malaby sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hi All,
>=20
> I am trying to sort a tab delimited file with sort. The problem I am
> having is with the -t option. I can not get it to accept a tab.
>=20
> Things I have tried:
>=20
> sort -t \t
> sort -t '\t'
> sort -t "\t"
> sort -t 0x09
> sort -t '0x09'
> sort -t "0x09"
> sort -t ^I
> sort -t '^I'
> sort -t "^I"
>=20

Did you try sorting without the -t parameter?  IIRC, it uses
whitespace to delimit fields by default, which includes the tab.
Unless you're trying to sort by a field other than the first, you
really don't need it anyway.

Then again, you could also just hit the tab key: -t '	'.

HTH
Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
Please send off-list email to:         leblanc at keyslapper d.t net
Key fingerprint =3D C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2

Genius doesn't work on an assembly line basis.  You can't simply say,
"Today I will be brilliant."

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft--