Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:38:01 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab email

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:56:55AM -0600, Brian Henning wrote:

> Everytime something runs from the the crontab for a given user such as ro=
ot, I
> get an email with the results of the execution. I am running a few cronta=
bs that
> run every 2 minutes and this gets to be a lot of excess email. How can I =
turn
> off this feature.

Either set the MAILTO variable at the top of the crontab file to an
empty string, or redirect stdout and stderr from each of the commands
to /dev/null -- something like:

   5 * * * * yourcommandhere >/dev/null 2>&1

See crontab(5) for details of MAILTO and sh(1) for how to redirect the
file descriptors.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20