Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 01:05:34 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        groggy@iname.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: losing controlling terminal

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 01:44:51AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:

> > well - no - it's not lynx, cuz it happens with BSD ftp, telnet, talk,
> > etc, etc, with everythign as far as i can tell.
> > FBSD doesn't seem to understand:
> >
> > no user/tty = kill user processes.
>
> Well, I don't see that behavior. Then again, I don't run things from
> Windows.

Is Windows closing the connection properly? The telnetd, ftpd,
whatever, only knows if the other end is closed if the other end says
so. If the server application isn't told by the client app that the
client is going down, then you usually still are OK because the
connection gets torn down at the transport layer. Now, if the client
never tells the server its dying, and if the TCP connection is not
torn down by the client's machine, there is no way for the server to
know the client died.

Next time you have this problem, do a,

  $ netstat -a

And see if your machine still believes the TCP connection to the
client is still ESTABLISHED. If so, one of those machines is having
some trouble in the TCP stack.

> > i don't know if it's related, but i can
> > also kill Xwindow quite often, and yet - BSDI
> > Netscape 4.73 is still running - doing the same
> > kind thing in terms of gobbling up all available
> > CPU time in the background after the controlling
> > terminal is gone.

Well, with Netscape, all bets are off. How are you killing X? Are you
killing it gracefully? Sending a SIGTERM? A SIGKILL?