Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 08:22:08 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        stuyman@confusion.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: How to change the shell?]

Graeme Tait wrote:

> As a relative newbie, I've been following this thread with interest, because I
> use two systems configured with bash as the default root shell, and haven't
> experienced any problems - plus is it a nice convenience.
>
> I also still haven't heard a convincing reason not to have bash as root
> default, given appropriate precautions.

	Everything in your response can be summed up like this. "Under ideal
conditions where I control all the variables I will never have a problem
with changing root's shell." I agree with that statement completely.
However what I, and other experienced system administrators are telling you
is that if you stay in this game long enough, eventually you will have a
situation where you don't control all the variables, and one little mistake
(not even always your mistake) will render your system unreachable. Now,
whether you choose to heed this advice or not is all up to you. Like I
said, it's your system, knock yourself out.

	Also, your trite dismissal of the problems of remote system administration
does nothing but demonstrate your ignorance of the issues involved. I
administer a lot of remote systems. In all likelihood I will never sit at
the console of any of them. All of them get upgraded remotely several times
a year. Downtime on those systems costs me and my customers money.
Therefore I take every precaution. If all you're doing is playing with
freebsd on your desktop you can afford to be more cavalier, however please
don't generalize your experience into situations you don't have any
experience with.

Thanks,

Doug