Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 13:14:42 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@hub.freebsd.org
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: ports/6737

> Steve Price wrote:

> > Synopsis: xboard not have gnuchess as run dependency
> >
> > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> > State-Changed-By: steve
> > State-Changed-When: Sun May 24 20:28:45 PDT 1998
> > State-Changed-Why:
> > RUN_DEPENDS was added, thanks!
>
> NoNoNoNo!
>
> This port does NOT depend on GnuChess! It can be used standalone to
> play network chess.

Just for the record: It can use crafty as chess engine which uses
fewer resources than GNU chess on my machine (at least last time I
tried GNU chess it was 4-5 times fewer memory - I removed it for its
inability to analyze games so didn't bother with the GNU program
anymore and use crafty instead) and allows xboard to be used in
analyze mode.

I prepared a port for it which is missing the opening books for now
(there are three ranging from about 1 MByte to about 60 MByte) and
needs a man page to explain how to make ones own copy of them as they
get updated due to learning and that a shared copy in /usr/local will
hardly allow.  It will probably end up in 4 ports with one containing
the program and the three opening books separated.

If anybody gives me a large harddisk and pays for the phone costs I
will try to port the end games databases with it's about 2 GB, too.
:-)

Stefan.