Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:10:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Lawrence Ho" <lawrenceho@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/40529: mod_deflate still experimental in apache2

The following reply was made to PR ports/40529; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Lawrence Ho" <lawrenceho@fastmail.fm>
To: "Hye-Shik Chang" <perky@fallin.lv>
Cc: <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 08:08:07 +0800

 > You can't get deflate module even if "deflate" may be removed from that
 line.
 > No matter what the site says, configure script of
 > _official_ apache2 distribution still doesn't install "deflate"
 > module on "install all modules".
 >
 > Apache guys said, "Modified Apache can't be called Apache". :)
 >
 > --
 > Hye-Shik Chang <perky@fallin.lv>
 > Yonsei University, Seoul
 > ^D

 Okay, I found "deflate" carries Extension status, not Base, so it was not
 installed by default. But the fact that it is not Experimental anymore
 remains unchanged, would it be better to modify the Makefile to accurately
 reflect the status of this module?

 Also, I'm confused by other apache2 settings. "dav" and "ssl" also carry
 Extension status and get installed anyway when installing the port. Not a
 big deal as there is a nice WITHOUT_SSL option in the port's Makefile. But
 what about "dav"? I cannot find WITHOUT_DAV or something like that.

 This is different from the "default Apache install" (./configure && make
 install, I mean), anyone care to explain to me why is that? Why some modules
 are "beloved" and get installed by the port by default while others are left
 alone? Thanks.

 Lawrence Ho