Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:26:38 +0800 (MYT)
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        Christer Solskogen <solskogen@carebears.mine.nu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading mysql

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Christer Solskogen wrote:
> I was wondering upgrading the mysql ports to 4.x series. should this be
> okay?
>
> gallery-1.4.1 ,p5-Mysql-modules-1.2219, php4-4.3.4_5, phpMyAdmin-2.5.4,
> phpSysInfo-2.1 and squirrelmail-1.4.2_1 seems to like mysql-3, and i was
> wondering if these ports will work with mysql4.

it should be alright, as iirc, mysql has not changed it's sql syntax from
3.x to 4.x. in fact, 4.x is now the production release.

> and if this works, how will be the correct way of upgrading the mysql
> packages?

you'd have less problems using portupgrade to upgrade your existing mysql
3.x to 4.x. portupgrade will take care of the dependencies to 3.x from
your existing installed applications correctly. once this is done, then
install your latest app which requires 4.x seamlessly thru ports or or
portinstall.