Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 03:30:24 -0400
From:      Bill Cohane <wcohane@idt.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Processor Motherboards

At 00:30 7/27/99 , Bill Maniatty wrote:
 >I was looking to make an affordable, yet high performance home machine
 >using a dual processor board.  I want to be able to run the most recent
 >stable release, and was going to get Intel based processors.  I would
 >like the processors to be fairly speedy, say 400-500 MHZ.  Since I'm
 >going to live with the system for quite a while, I might want it to be
 >kind of fast (but not prohibitively expensive).

Hi Bill

I recently built myself an SMP system using an Abit BP6 motherboard
($139) and two $60 PPGA Celeron 300a processors, both easily
overclocked to 450 MHz. (The BP6 re-enables the SMP capability of
the Celerons that Intel had disabled.) For information on the Abit dual
socket 370 board, see <http://www.abit-usa.com/english/product/bp6.htm>.

<http://www.pricewatch.com/>; lists dozens of dealers with BP6 boards in
stock, from $130 on up. (I have used PCNUT and Atacom with good success.)

Of course you can always pay more and put 466 MHz Celerons on the Abit
BP6 board instead of overclocking 300a Celerons.

Another way to do dual processing with Celerons is to buy a dual slot
one board (like the Abit P2B-D for $275) and use two MSI MS-6905
"slotket" adaptors. See <http://www.cpu-central.com/ms-6905.html>.

For a comparison of Dual Celeron vs. Dual Pentium III systems (with
benchmarks), see <http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/3q99/smp/smp-1.html>.
You will generally find that the Celerons hold their own against the
more expensive Pentium II and III processors...despite their smaller
(but faster) L2 cache.

By the way... Check out the MSI dual slot one MS-6120 motherboard
at <http://www.msi.com.tw/product_guide/mainboard/data/6120.htm>.
I know several people who are very happy with single processor MSI
slot one and socket 370 boards.

Regards,
Bill