Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:07:24 -0600
From:      David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 05:03  AM, Terry Lambert wrote:

> It's probably not very useful to talk about doing this until
> local caching-only name servers on border servers are capable
> of handling the 8-bit, as well.  For the RFC's that FreeBSD
> currently complies with, it's right to be strict about this.

I think this is the wrong approach to take with this problem.
Linux, Windows, and Solaris do not enforce this restriction.  If
RFC 952 is being thrown out the window, then why should FreeBSD
continue to enforce this restriction?  At the moment, the
problems I am seeing have little to do with 8-bit data but
characters outside of the what RFC 952 allows.

DaveD