Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:50:59 +0400
From:      "Andrey Simonenko" <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        <joe@jwebmedia.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Permanently setenv

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com>
Newsgroups: lucky.freebsd.questions
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 9:04 PM
Subject: Permanently setenv

> How do I set an environmental variable so that it stays around forever.
> This is for a server, so I need to be there if the machine restarts and
> even when no users are logged in at all. Thanks,

Set all needed environment variables in the configuration file
for the shell each user used. Usualy, there are /etc/bashrc,
/etc/tcsh, etc. which are included to ~/.bashrc, ~/.tcsh.
/etc/<shell-config> usually has "export" for Bash or "setenv"
for C-shells commands.

Look at manual pages for shells you and your users use
and find appropriate shell configuration files.