Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 19:26:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        peter@netplex.com.au, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beware! -current under SMP is "not looking good".

> It seems that doing a 'setpriority()' is the last thing that happens
> before the hang with ntpdate.  I wonder if the posix4 stuff is having an
> effect here?

The latest round of changes were minor.  The "maybe_resched" that went
in near the beginning of March would be more likely to cause problems -
that was what broke idle priority.  That leaves a big window from the
beginning of March until now so I expect the problem would have shown up
earlier.  Anyone suspecting them can roll back to the date
of that last change to sys/_posix.h and verify if the problems are
new or not.

The only recent non-optional change is the check of the new scheduling
classes in swtch.s and I don't think that can cause any problems.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval