Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 00:11:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        msmith@freebsd.org (Mike Smith)
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

[CC: trimmed to -arch again]
> > [CC: trimmed to -arch]
> > > In message <20000406134916.A23265@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
> > > : highly irritated at root's shell being one of poor UI.  Of the [t]csh
> > > : users I know, only about 10% use csh over tcsh and that is only because
> > > : csh is in the base system.  Those people would not even notice the extra
> > > : tcsh features.
> >
> > I just had to go look to see if I could find some stats as the 10% number
> > seemed wrong to me the first time.  From Freefall, what I would call a
> > pretty good representation of hard core BSD users :-) we have the following
> > stats:
> >
> > freefall:rgrimes {107} ypcat passwd | grep bin/csh | wc
> >       44     163    2965
> > freefall:rgrimes {108} ^cs^tcs
> >      115     406    9409
> >
> > Ahhh... 44/115 != 0.10 == 0.38 or 38%.  David's statistic is off by a
> > factor of 3.8 :-(
>
> Ah, statistics.  However, we know that of the former category, 15 have
> never logged in and thus probably haven't wanted to change their shell.
> (There are others that have wanted to change away in the past but can't
> because of the YP setup).  OTOH, only 13 tcsh users have never logged in.
> So, in adjusted figures that's 29/102 or 28%.  Your numbers are more than
> 33% overstated. 8)

The 13 tcsh users probably specifically requested tcsh or they would have
ended up with csh by default, so here are some more stats for you...
(44-15)/115=0.25 or 25%, so my number was actually 35/28=1.52 or 52% over
stated.  The original 10% was still 250% understated.  I'll take stats 52%
in error over 250%, or 2.5/0.52=4.8 times more accurate any day.

:-) :-) :-)  (I can use and abuse them just as good as the next guy...
unless he happens to be the author of the book by the similiar name...).

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net