Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:16:47 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "David Banning" <David@www3.pacific-pages.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What kind of ISP/connection am I looking for?

>For a small 7 person company,
>I want to install a php-mysql system for taking orders, keeping
>track of sales, etc.
>Onsite speed would have to be fast, but when connected though the
>web - slow is fine.
>
>We don't want to spend alot of money on the ISP.  I see companies
>advertising $400 - $1500 per month for a fast connection.
>
>I'm wondering;
>
>Is there a low-cost way to have the server on-site but still be able to
>access from the web?

Our 7 user LAN at work is sharing a 384/128 ADSL connection for $50/mo.
We're about 5000 feet from our TelCo's CO, so we get a download speed close
to 1500kbps. I don't have a web server running there, but I do on my home
DSL (http://www.mostgraveconcern.com) with an average upload speed of
108kbps. If you try moving around my site, you'll get an idea whether or not
this would be fast enough for your server.

If you need something faster, you could look into a 1500/384 ADSL connection
(about $155/mo here) or an SDSL line. Both would be significantly cheaper
than a T1 line.

Setting up a web server on your own FreeBSD box is a piece of cake, simply
install Apache with the modules of your choice. You'll want to register your
domain name and get a static IP address from your ISP. If you go with a
decent ISP, they will even host your DNS entries so that you won't have to
mess with setting up a DNS server.

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor