Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:01:59 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: log with dynamic firewall rules

Well, it seems that people would like to leave the logging
behaviour of keep-state rules like it is.  People could
use ipf - I know nothing about that as I have not read the
man page yet.

For ipfw, I realise now that it would be rather easy to have
two kinds of logging for keep-state rules - one which keeps
logging every packet that comes through, and one which only
logs when a new dynamic rule is created.

All the help manuals on natd point one to ipfw, and really it
is quite easy to use.  I did not find out about ipf until
I see you guys talking about it.

I think this kind of extra functionality in ipfw would be
very helpful.

Really, the only question is which syntax to use.  Maybe we should
keep

add pass log from xxx to yyy keep-state

to do what it does now.  We could have a new keyword:  keep-state-log

add pass log from xxx to yyy keep-state-log

would be like keep-state plus logging when a new dynamic rule is created.

Or this could be indicated by

add pass log-new-state from xxx to yyy keep-state

The first of these options (the keep-state-log) is really easy to
program.  And in a way it makes more sense, since it is really the
keep state we are logging, not that pass that we are logging.

Or maybe it should be written:

add pass log from xxx to yyy keep-state log

yes that seems the best way.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Department of Mathematics, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211