Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:47:02 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD sort vs GNU sort.

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 10:08:53 +0000, Mark Murray wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 16:22:21 +0000, Mark Murray wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you think you would be able to engineer proper i18n support into
> > > this BSD sort if I were to import it?
> >
> > Where I can look at the its latest sources? NetBSD?
>
> Yes. I can get a copy somewhere if you need me to.

Just check it.

BSD sort provide byte by byte sorting, so will understand only one byte
collation sequences, if collation support will be added there. GNU sort is
a little different: sometimes it compares parts of string, not bytes, so
it will lead to longer collation sequences understanding.

It is still possible to add one byte collation support to BSD sort, also
it will be harder than adding it to GNU sort, because whole collation
table must be builded first, before runtime comparison.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/