Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:39:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Nate Puri <natepuri@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Satisfied w/ your desktop?

Nate Puri writes:
> In light of using the highly integrated Windows
> desktop or the Mac OS X desktop, what configurations
> for FBSD do you use that are comparable?

Comparable how? Features? Size? Usability? Style? Design? Coolness?

> I'm trying a lot of different stuff now.  XFce, KDE1,
> KDE2, GNOME, Afterstep, WindowMaker, BlackBox and a
> combination of apps that are better than 1.x.  I've
> tried them all. I'd just like to hear thoughts on what
> people use who have used their configuration for a
> long time now without switching.

I consider all those window managers to be large, clunky and
obnoxiously distracting. My physical desk does nothing but hold up the
things I need to work on/with, and otherwise stays out of the
way. That pretty much describes what I want from all my tools - let me
do the job, use as little space (both memory and screen) as you can
doing it, and don't distract me with geegaws.

I use lwm, configured (with that marvelous Gnu Configuration Command
gcc) to provide a windows with a "get out of my way" feature: a right
click in the border lowers them.

The left and middle mouse buttons in the root window each run a 9menu
command to bring up a list of commonly used tools (slightly faster
than typing into an xterm). These are both shell scripts whose name
lwm reads from an X resource.  The right mouse button in the root
brings up a list of "iconified" applications (and they appear nowhere
else: no dock, no icon window, no menubar, nada). Changing this
requires reconfiguration with gcc.

Given that I use black-on-white xterms & editor windows pretty
extensively, and my WM has zero desktop presence, it shouldn't
surprise you to know that I've been asked - more than once - why I
have a black-and-white system. It should also now be obvious why
people don't pay me to design GUIs.

	<mike