Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:47:55 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        geoffr@globalserve.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Book Suggestions

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 at 07:10 SAT, Geoffrey Robinson wrote:

> follows. It would be very helpful to me if I could get some comments about
> these books, how well they apply to FreeBSD and if they contain the
> information I'm looking for. Suggestions for better books would be helpful
> too.

It is a good rule of thumb that just about anything published on Unix-related
topics by O'Reilly & Associates is worth having.  See their site at
http://www.ora.com/

Their books might sometimes not be as "advanced" as those published by more
"academic" publishers, but they definitely help you to get the job done.

I can comment on one or two of the books in your list.

> Practical Unix and Internet Security by Simson Garfinkel and Gene Spafford

The de facto reference on the topic.  But be advised that it covers a great
deal of ground, and therefore it sometimes do not treat individual topics in
detail.

If you're interested in security-related issues, you might also want to look
at "Building Internet Firewalls" by Chapman and Zwicky, also published by
O'Reilly.  Not only a good book on security, but one which gives you a more
solid grip on TCP/IP networking in general.

> The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System by Keith
> Bostic

This should be on the shelf of anyone serious about BSD-style Unix.  An
excellent book.  And after all, it is _the_ reference.  :-)

Also look at "Unix Power Tools", edited by Jerry Peek, et al., and once again
published by O'Reilly.  It helps you to realise the power of the environment.

Being a C programmer, you may scoff at this suggestion...  but take a look at
Larry Wall's "Programming Perl" (_again_ published by ORA).  Yes, I know...
Perl is duct tape.  But duct tape can be a damn useful thing to have!

Sorry I can't recommend any specific books on C/C++ programming in the Unix
environment - not my forte', I'm afraid.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878