Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:14:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@cncn.com>
To:        fbsdqs <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XDM

Hello.

	I would like to configure XDM. I have "The complete FreeBSD", and
it said to put a line like
"ttyvX	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xtrerm	on secure"
in my /etc/ttys file.

	It presented me with login: and password: and a console log. I
typed my name/ password, and the screen blanked and then came back to the
same login screen. When I typed an incorrect login, it said incorrect
login, so it is recognizing me. I found the server output (included) in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors. I don't really understand how to
configure xdm, and if anybody has any pointers it would be appreciated.

When I couldn't log in via XDM, I cut it out of the ttys file. I kill
-HUPed 1, and it was still running. So, I killed it and it's accompanying
console reading proccess. I was at the console (ttyv0) at the time. It
hung my terminal at the least and the system at worst, as it would just
beep when I hit a key. I rebooted the computer, it fscked root (after
warning about improper reboot) and then halted on the fscking of /usr. I
dropped to singleuser by hitting ^C, and manually fscked /, /usr and /var.
I hit ^D, and the system proceeded to boot. Why did xdm do this to my
system when I tried to kill it?

	-Spike Gronim
	 spork@cncn.com

		"Hacker, n: One who hacks real good"