Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 08:26:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Bumgarner <bbum@codefab.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port problems on clean install

Bill Bumgarner <bbum@codefab.com> types:
> Interesting.  I will have to write up some feedback regarding the
> installation process-- there are aspects of it that left me a bit
> befuddled.  I come from a background of numerous years of dealing
> with NeXTSTEP/OpenStep/Linux/Solaris, so

I would say not to bother. Lots of people have written up things about
how to improve the install process. What needs to be written is code,
not another opinion piece on this topic. If you're interested in
writing code, or what a more official opinion is, read <URL:
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~alex/libh/ >.

> In brief, more explicit mention of:
> 	- Setting the time shoul mention something about daylight savings time

It does, where/when it's appropriate. DST information is implicit in
the time zone. If it's not DST when you do the install, install
doesn't need to deal with it - so it doesn't.

> 	- if the ports directory won't build off of the CD image as downloaded
> (this was not a nightly image, but a -STABLE) and the instructions for updating
> it would be helpful.

The ports ON THE CD will build on the system on the same CD. This is
true for every FreeBSD CD I've seen. Later versions of the ports tree
may or may not build on the system on the CD. That's the price of
progress. There are instructions for upgrading your system to build
current ports on the FreeBSD web site at <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ > (click on "Ported applications" on the
front page).

> 	- a brief mention/inventory of the tools/processes used to do an update;
> i.e. "Before you try to build a port, make sure you use 'cvsup blah blah blah'
> to upgrade the ports directory".

Update what? Kernel? World? Ports tree? The ports tree is discussed on
the ported applications page; the rest is discussed in the handbook at

> 	- the xemacs/emacs packages are confusing;  I still haven't found which
> package actually contains a xemacs binary.  Do I have to install the MULE
> version??

Can't help with that one. One person is responsible for most of them;
try contacting them about this. There are other such families of ports
that are confusing.

> In general, the documentation/howtos/handbooks/etc are excellent;  incredibly
> helpful and some of the best documentation around-- better than things I have
> PAID for.
>
> However, they reflect that the authors are generally people that know this stuff
> inside and out from a very FreeBSD oriented perspective.  Documentation that is
> slightly less centric to that background would be very helpful.

If you really feel things need to be fixed, the best way is to fix it
yourself and submitting it as a PR. I've had good luck updating the
documentation and submitting PRs with the fixes. You can start at the
FreeBSD documentation project page <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/docproj.html >.

	<mike