Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 97 16:13:07 MET
From:      Rob Schofield <rschof@mccomm.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel configs

Brief question for all you experts:

Although it's harking back somewhat, I'm talking about 2.1.5 (WAAAAYY
back). However, the issue I'm certain applies to recent versions too.

I want to roll my own kernel, and up to 2.1.5, the only type of ISA
controller possible was isa?, as per the following example:

controller isa0

- under which you hung 8/16 bit device descriptions for ISA-based
devices such as the console, keyboard, co-pro, floppy driver, disk
controller, etc.

With the advent of 2.1.5, the eisa controller support expanded
possibilities somewhat, and support for my AHA 1742 moved under the
EISA controller code.

So here's the question; can I specify only the eisa? controller and
have it control devices formerly under the isa? controller, or do I
need to have both in there as seperate bus controllers, with the isa
controller code probing and handling the ISA bus stuff and the eisa
probing and handling the EISA cards?

eg: Two bus controllers

controller isa0
device npx0
device sc0

controller fdc0
device fd0
device fd1
 .... etc.
 .... etc.
 .... etc.
 .... etc.

controller eisa0
controller ahb0
device cd0
device sd0

eg: one controller

controller eisa0
device npx0
device sc0

controller ahb0
device cd0
device sd0

controller fdc0
device fd0
device fd1
 .... etc.
 .... etc.
 .... etc.
 .... etc.

Can you Reply rather than post as I am unforch only subscribed to
hardware and SCSI - and let's face it, this is after all an
embarrasingly dorkish Q..... ;^)

Rob
--
Witticisms are hard to define on Monday mornings...

schofiel@xs4all.nl       http://www.xs4all.nl/~schofiel
rschof@mccomm.nl