Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 01:12:55 +0200
From:      "F. Xavier Noria" <fxn@retemail.es>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Booting Windows XP

I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.5 and Windows XP in the same machine having
FreeBSD in the _first_ partition (because I would like to if it was possible).

I almost suceed because after installing FreeBSD first and then Windows XP I could
start from the FreeBSD CD and execute boot -a to boot from the right device, but
after executing

    # fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 /dev/ad0

as explained in the Handbook, the boot manager showed

    F1 FreeBSD
    F2 ??

and F2 didn't do anything but produce a beep. It seemed I just could choose F1 there.

If I install the systems the other way around those question marks are associated
to F1, which is the default, and pressing ENTER Windows XP boots.

So, is there a way to fix that "F2 ??" of the first settings?

-- fxn

PS Will I be able to mount ntfs from FreeBSD? If not, is there a standard way to pass
files between them?