Date:      25 Oct 2002 11:02:19 -0400
From:      Jess Fiorelli <jfiorelli@schwartz-pr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Amanda  FreeBSD: gtar must be run as operator

I've been trying to configure the amanda client on my freebsd
(4.6-stable) machine and have been running into problems.  amcheck
works fine, but when it actually tries to run the backup, I get these
errors and the status email says disk off line:
------
[root@ignatius:/tmp/amanda] # more runtar.20021024035720.debug
runtar: debug 1 pid 94115 ruid 74 euid 0 start time Thu Oct 24
03:57:20 2002
/usr/local/bin/gtar: version 2.4.3b2
error [must be invoked by operator]

runtar: pid 94115 finish time Thu Oct 24 03:57:20 2002
--------
[root@ignatius:/tmp/amanda] # more sendsize.20021024035720.debug
sendsize: calculating for amname '/usr/local/etc', dirname
'/usr/local/etc'
sendsize: getting size via gnutar for /usr/local/etc level 0
sendsize: missing exclude list file
"/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar" discarded
sendsize: spawning /usr/local/libexec/amanda/runtar in pipeline
sendsize: argument list: /usr/local/bin/gtar --create --file /dev/null
--directory /usr/local/etc --one-file-system --listed-increme
ntal
/usr/local/var/amanda/gnutar-lists/ignatius.schwartz-pr.com_usr_local_etc_0.new
--sparse --ignore-failed-read --totals .
runtar: error [must be invoked by operator]
----------------

What am I doing wrong?  The server is running on a linux machine and
there are 5 other linux clients that connect to it with no problems.
amanda runs on the client as amanda:amanda with amanda being part of
the operator group.  On the linux machines I've got the amanda user as
part of the disk group, but freebsd doesn't have that.  Is there
another group that amanda should be a member of?

Here's the line from inetd.conf:
---
amanda  dgram   udp     wait    amanda
/usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad amandad
---

I've got the amandahosts set as:
root@ignatius:/home/amanda] # more .amandahosts
intranet.schwartz-pr.com    amanda