Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:26:00 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

* Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> [020130 02:22] wrote:
> In message <3C57C858.5FCC9453@mindspring.com>, Terry Lambert writes:
>
> Hi Terry,
>
> I can see from your more and more irrellevant argumentation that
> you have realized the battle is lost and now you are just trying
> to save face.
>
> You can save a lot of time for all of us (time which we can then
> spend on improving FreeBSD) if you just shut up now.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I must commend you on your ability to turn an otherwise detailed
technical discussion into a barrage of personal attacks but I'd
like to summarize the actual issues.

Removing the __P causes these specific problems:

1) repo bloat.
2) incompatible deltas with other BSDs and older versions of BSD.
3) inability to bootstrap on older platforms with older compilers.

Without getting into too much details (which seems to cause headaches)
I'm perfectly fine with issue #1, very unhappy with #2 and a bit
perterbed about #3.

Frankly I wouldn't care either way if the situation hadn't reached
this stage.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductable donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/