Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 01:58:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "R. D. Davis" <rdd@smart.net>
To:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>, Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Thanks and apology - and medical office software inquiry (was: Legacy Device Support (Was RE: No help...))

Greetings,

To all of those who've worked hard to create and continue the
development of FreeBSD, I apologize if what I wrote about my system
crash after the upgrade and the difficulty getting the tape drives and
ethernet to work seemed like flames.  No flames were intended.  All
that aside, which is hopefully just a very temporary problem, I still
think that FreeBSD is a great OS - the exact opposite of that horrid
Microcrud^H^H^H^Hsoft.  Foolishly I tried the upgrade just before I
needed to use my FreeBSD box to research and write a paper pertaining
to something Microsoft's involved in.

Now that 2.2.5 is reinstalled on part of my hard drive (4.0 will be
on the other), so I can get on with some work, it feels great to
have this system back again!

BTW, I successfully installed version 4.0 of FreeBSD on a system at
work last week. :-) Thanks again!

Speaking of Microsoft, beware: they're sending platoons of sales goons
to physicians offices, etc. to sell Healtheon/WebMD products for
claims processing, etc., possibly with the goal of displacing
non-Microsoft and non-Healtheon-related systems used for medical
information processing (this involves transferring patient information
over the Internet); that's not all, the marketing goons they send out
don't deny that they want to use the access they get to your medical
records for a certain purpose: to make money by selling the
information to other companies - profiting from their access to your
"confidential" medical data.  It also appears that WebMD could
possibly be in the business of providing medical information that may
be slanted a tad in favor of big business at the expense of your
health - check it out and see what conclusion you draw, based upon the
businesses involved.

Is anyone writing any medical claims processing, or any other medical
software - commercial or free, using FreeBSD?

Have a great weekend!

--
R. D. Davis
rdd@perqlogic.com