Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 17:10:28 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Load-Balancing - any solutions?

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 04:50:02PM +0100, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> Hello Alfred,
>
> Tuesday, December 05, 2000, 4:42:17 PM, you wrote:
> > Check out 'rsync' and the rest of the ports collection, there's good stuff
> > in there.
>
> I'm still looking for something somewhat faster (i.e. no more than a few
> seconds lag between the master and the slave servers)...

I really don't know what will happen in web servers that have high
loads, but what you describe seems to remind me of NFS.  I haven't
tested such a setup on high loads, but I would be interested to know
what others have to say.

On a side note, having read the thread so far, I like the Squid
solution for quickly changing, dynamic stuff.  But, even if you have a
setup like:

    Internet -->  Squid --+--> Apache (1) --+--> SQL server
                          |                 |
                          +--> Apache (2) --+
                          :                 :
                          +--> Apache (n) --+

You are going to have a bottleneck not in the time it takes Apache to
load and process a page, but on your SQL server.  But if you use more
than one SQL servers, you are going to need database mirroring too.
The problem of getting two web servers to respond with the `same' data
seems to be more complicated than plain `rsync' of two directories :/

I would be very interested to know what other people have to say on
this one, though.  Oh, and when this becomes kind of off-topic for
-questions, perhaps we should take it to -chat.

% giorgos