Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:29:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends

Will Andrews wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 12:56:10PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > What are the consequences of your proposal with the use of
> > rdump/rrestore from another (non-FreeBSD) machine into a
> > tape drive equipped FreeBSD box?
>
> What consequences?  Remember, we'll still have ports for these things.
> It only matters as far as new installations go.  Post-install operations
> are unimportant.

rdump/rrestore (on at least Tru64 Unix) expect to find /etc/rmt
on the remote machine.  Other non-FreeBSD Unices probably also
expect to find /etc/rmt.

troutmask:kargl[268] ls -l /etc/rmt
l---------  1 root  wheel  13 Nov 17  1998 /etc/rmt@ -> /usr/sbin/rmt

Are you advocating that your port will create the proper symlink?
/etc/rmt@ -> /usr/local/sbin/rmt
Isn't this against the principles of "The Ports Collection".

Note rmt(8) states "Rmt is normally started up with an rexec(3)
or rcmd(3) call."

--
Steve