Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:36:14 +0200
From:      Lapo Luchini <lapo@lapo.it>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru
Subject:   error creating stf1 [Was: using 6to4 on two different IPv4 addresses]

Lapo Luchini wrote:
> % sudo ifconfig stf1 create
> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
>
> I guess the kernel is hardwired to support only one stf interface?
>
> "man stf" states:
>   Each stf interface is created at runtime using interface cloning.
>   This is most easily done with the ifconfig(8) create command or
>   using the cloned_interfaces variable in rc.conf(5).

I think this is either a bug or a documentation bug: if it's supposed to
be able to create only one interface, then
"Each stf interface is created"
should probably be changed to something like
"The one and only stf interface is created"
... else "ifconfig create" should work as stated.

Mhh, Eygene Ryabinkin in message
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2009-July/022456.html
states that "stf(4) is essentially a singleton interface", in that case
I guess it's the man that should be patched (to remove that "each") and
maybe support for aliases should be added.

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/