Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:28:27 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults!

In message <200009222139.PAA71726@harmony.village.org>, Warner Losh
writes:
> In message <20000922233318.A34189@mithrandr.moria.org> Neil Blakey-Milner wri
> tes:
> : Maybe you can give me some clue - why is rsh and login suid-root?  Can
> : they function without it?
>
> No.  Well, the kerberos support works, but they need to be suid root
> to bind to low ports.  That's part of what makes the normal protcol so
> lame.

The other annoying thing about rsh/krsh is that rshd/kshd open a
connection back to the client -- very firewall unfriendly.  Not that
one would want to allow these protocols across a firewall, however
within our network we firewall our desktop systems from our production
servers on our network, which themselves behind two other firewalls, to
discourage developers and Oracle admins from connecting to our desktop
systems.  This is a layered onion approach to firewalls where each
sysadmin's desktop is protected because of its ability to connect to
production servers on our own network that normally cannot talk to each
other, e.g. isolated from each other using firewalls or VLAN's, though
our desktop systems can talk to each system on our raised floor.

So my question is why the second TCP session between rshd/kshd and
rsh/krsh?  Is it for a full-duplex session?

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC