Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:30:25 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Aaron Baugher <abaugher@esc.pike.il.us>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network stalls with 4.5

> From: Aaron Baugher <abaugher@esc.pike.il.us>
> Date: 19 Mar 2002 14:32:11 -0600
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> writes:
>
> > You might try doing something as crude as
>
> > while (1)
> > netstat -ni && sleep 10
> > end
>
> > and use that to see of you're getting errors or collisions durng the
> > "stalls".
>
> Thanks.  They've all been up for 20-30 days, and show zero errors or
> collisions.  Also, we're not having this problem with the Linux or
> OpenBSD boxes on the same LAN, so it doesn't seem to be a cabling or
> hub problem.

Aaron,

This may be simple confusion on terminology, but "hub" normally is
the term used for a multi-port Ethernet device that acts as a simple
repeater with all connections in a common collision domain and all
running half-duplex.

If this is the case, zero collisions is VERY hard to believe.
Collisions will always happen in a half-duplex LAN on a system that
does any significant amount of writing to the network. Simple matter
of statistics. Is the connecting box a hub (repeater) or a switch
(bridge)? If it's a bridge, you should probably be running full-duplex
and would ALWAYS have zero collisions as collision detection is
disabled in that case.

If it's a hub or if the interface is running half-duplex, it's
possible that the NIC is defective and that could be the source of the
problems.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)