Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 17:44:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Stephan Galt <ssgalt@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   new user -config questions

Hi!

I'm new to Unix and have just installed FBSD4.4 (via
4CD set) as a dual boot with W98 on a i386 machine.
Although I've set up some user accounts it is
basically just a single user machine.  I have some
questions about configuring and how the boot process
works.

Besides the kernel what config files are checked at
boot time/login time- rc.conf but anything else? -and
in what order?

Also, its not clear sometimes what gets changed via a
kernel reconfig, what gets set in rc.conf or other
files, and what about .ko files?

I'm not sure where to set sound card info (not
detected at install time) or modem info (winmodem -
I've seen mention of a new /comm port.)
Where is the appropriate place to look to set
different kinds of configuration information?

The machine is on a home network with other W98
machines, one of which is set up to 'serve' internet
connections (by dialup connection) via MS Internet
Connection Sharing.  Is there going to be a way for me
to configure FreeBSD to use that connection?  My other
option is to use dialup direct from the machine
FreeBSD got installed on, but that wont work until I
get the modem configured.

=====
Stephan Galt
ssgalt@yahoo.com