Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 18:07:15 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd SCSI problem in 2.2-STABLE...

The Hermit Hacker writes:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>
> > In article <199804250305.WAA27641@nospam.hiwaay.net> you wrote:
> > >
> > > On newer cards with the aic7860 chip and 1.21 BIOS FreeBSD 2.2 would not
> > > reboot. It would cold boot into FreeBSD, just not a reboot. Adaptec's
> > > BIOS message would appear claiming to be scanning the SCSI bus. And
> > > hang. Dumb old Win95 didn't have that problem. Neither did some version
> > > of OS/2. Enabling SCAM cured the problem for FreeBSD.
> >
> > This problem doesn't exist in the CAM version of the driver.
>
> 	Which isn't available for 2.2-STABLE yet...is it? :(

Something I was imcomplete in describing my problem which was solved by
enabling SCAM was that on exit FreeBSD left the 2940 in some state which
the 2940 couldn't recover itself from unless SCAM was enabled. IMHO its
more of a bug/problem in the Adaptec BIOS code than in FreeBSD.

The more I read about CAM the more I suspect I'm going to have to
switch to -current for my home playbox. And learn how to extract stable
versions of -current using CVS. As it stands, "cd /usr; cvs -q
checkout -r RELENG_2_2 src" and "cd /usr/src; cvs -q update -d" are about
the extent of my cvs abilities. Just learned to add "-d" to update last
week as it wasn't adding newly added directories to my source tree.