Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 15:56:17 -0500
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

Karl Pielorz wrote:
> I'm reluctant to take it down to upgrade (if it ain't broke [for what you do]
> don't fix it?)

I can't keep mine up! I use Win98 on my machine occasionally. Be very
careful about which xterm or vty you type "shutdown" in! :-) I only
upgrade: 1. When a new release comes out. 2. After a full backup. 3. Any
machine except my "LAN master". Because of my "unique" situation, my
domain, etc. doesn't exist outside of my LAN. Well, the LAN master is
the machine with all the DNS info for the LAN and two copies of named -
one for internet connectivity, and one for without. It also carries the
firewall, dial-on-demand, etc. It's very nasty to try and debug a
program when none of the other machines know who they are or who they
are talking to! Even worse is the instant lack of connectivity.

--
Kris Kirby
<kris@airnet.net>