Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 21:27:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "William A. Arbaugh" <waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com, rgrimes@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DELL P90 systems with FreeBSD?

On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Guido van Rooij wrote:

> Do you know if Dell has a P90 system that works with FreeBSD?
> I heart from someone that Dell Dimension XPS P90 with Plato
> should work, but has some problems when you have more then
> 16 MB of RAM.
> I also heart something about the Omniplex.
> I want to have 32 mb ram, and a NCR 810 SCSI adapter. If so,
> what type?

I'm using FreeBSD with two Dell OmniPlex90's with 32MB RAM.  It comes
standard with the NCR, and it has been working fine for me.  The only
problem is that DELL has a brained dead way of dealing with the CMOS for
extended memory.  They limit the amount of memory advertised in CMOS at
16MB (their interp of an old IBM spec).  Memory beyond 16MB is advertised
in the EISA CMOS.  I spoke with several people at DELL about this and
they claim they are right.  When told everyone else seems to do it
differently, the response was "They're all wrong".  I just kludged the
kernel so it could see all of my memory.  Not ideal, but it works.

BTW, I just bought a second SCSI disk for one of the machines.  DELL uses
non standard brackets.  Thus, I had to buy a special DELL bracket for
about $15.  What a rip off!

				bill

Bill Arbaugh
email:  waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu