Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:11:58 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCP btn Linux & FreeBSD annoying!

In the last episode (Apr 26), Odhiambo Washington said:
> I am generally on the FreeBSD side but we also have Linux machines on
> our network. I run FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE on all the BSD machines that we
> have and I am always a happy man until an issue comes up from the
> Linux side. I am trying to move a 2GB file from a Redhat Linux to
> FreeBSD. I don't want to use NFS!! I just wanna do FTP or something
> but since Linux has got scp, I decided to use it. scp between Linux
> and Linux is okay, good speeds, until I try
>
> scp filename user@host:newfilename
>
> Then issues get worse. Generally I can transfer the 4.3-ISO image from my
> workstation (also FreeBSD 4.3) to any of our BSD servers at considerably
> less time, minutes to be precise.That would be by FTP.

Remember that SCP is encrypting everything it transfers.  If both ends
support blowfish, you will only take a 20% speed hit.  If it has to
fallback to 3DES (which all implelemtations are required to support),
you take a 55% speed hit.  Also depending on your configuration, you
might be doing gzip compression as well.  What's the CPU load on each
system during the scp, and what are the CPU speeds of each?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com