Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 17:01:54 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

At 12:51 PM 5/5/99 -0500, Mike Avery wrote:

 >As I get older, I realize that marketing creates demand.  Whether we
>like it or not.  And that someone will create demand for a class of
>product.  If you don't create demand for your product, your
>competitor will create demand for theirs.  Marketing is as essential
>as having a product.  And it ain't easy.  In fact, in it's own way it's
>as hard as creating a product.

Actually, marketing *is* creating a product. Without marketing, it's just
a program, not a product.

 >I don't think that if someone were to criticize FreeBSD technically
>people would seriously tell them to "write your own OS".  It's not
>easy.  And we know FreeBSD wasn't the product of one person in
>their basement.  Similarly, advocacy isn't a one person job.

Very true.

>As a FreeBSD newbie, I probably should look more before speaking,
>but advocacy and development require different skills.  That isn't to
>say one person can't have both, but most often they don't.  It seems
>that there should be a separate group handling publicity, evangalism,
>advocacy, and so on.  And the group should be more open  than the
>existing structure seems to be.

Absolutely. And since marketing needs HOURS (communicating with humans
is MUCH more time-consuming than coding), there also needs to be a
financial incentive, at least for the primary marketers.

--Brett