Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:28:41 -0700
From:      Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
To:        Sam Lawrance <boris@brooknet.com.au>
Cc:        ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Clarification on fetch/extract targets

Sam Lawrance wrote:

>>> Everyone behind a firewall that only allows fetching via HTTP/FTP, for
>>> one.  Also everyone without live network access, and those with
>>> pay-per-download who have a free local distfile mirror, etc.
>>>
>>> Tarballs are overwhelmingly preferred.
>>>
>>> Kris
>>>
>> Ok... I was looking at it from the standpoint of someone who wants
>> the newest version and doesn't care of the pkg-plist is stale.  They
>> could just bump PORTREVISION and reinstall.
>>
>> So... how about this:
>> - A distfile target which generates a distfile.  The idea being that
>> this would be the one on the local distfile mirror or what have you.
>> - A WITH_SVN option (defaults to off) which allows the end user to
>> specify he/she wants to use the subversion.
>>
>> In this case then, the end user would need to bump PORTREVISION and
>> enable the WITH_SVN option.
>
> Rather than suggesting that users change PORTREVISION, just suggest
> that they set WITH_SVN and force an upgrade (eg. portupgrade -f
> yourport).

You mean have it just grab the current head no matter what when WITH_SVN
is enabled?  *shudder*

All kinds of arguments against that spring to mind...
- This is essentially an option to break the pkg-plist
- The current trunk may not build/work/etc so the option will only work
"sometimes"
- The version number becomes wrong if a later update to the port
increases the revision to something less than the current one, the tools
will "upgrade" it to an older version

These are just the ones that spring to mind initially... I'm sure there
are other wild and crazy things that would/could happen.