Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:18:47 +0100
From:      "Martin Hillier" <martin.hillier@sykes.demon.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   I think I have a routing problem?

I have been trying to sort out a problem with a freebsd machine and linux,
when I ping from one to the other I get packets sent but no received
packets, 100% packet loss.

I have done a tcpdump and...

#Ping 192.168.2.110  (to blackhole(freebsd) from sykes )

Linux
12:48:29.869824 sykes > blackhole: icmp: echo request

FreeBSD
tcpdump: listening on ed0
12:48:29.632586 sykes > blackhole: icmp: echo request
12:48:29.633087 blackhole > sykes: icmp: echo reply

I am not getting any icmp packets back to the linux machine.

my route on the freebsd box

# route get sykes
route to: sykes
destination: sykes
interface: ed0
      flags: <UP,HOST,DONE,LLINFO,WASCLONED>
 recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu
expire
       0         0         0         0         0         0      1500
1180

The linux box can 'see' other packets from the freebsd machine to other
machines, does this mean the routing is screwed up to the linux box from
freebsd?

I have no idea where to look now, any ideas!

Thanks...