Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:29:50 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        Jukka Simila <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fave Window Manager... found it.

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 04:15:43AM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:

> One of the disadvantages of Fvwm2 is that window resizing can be a pain in
> the butt.  If your desktop and buttonbar are covered up,

You could set the button bar to stay always on top if you prefer.

> it becomes very difficult to resize a window if you need to (you need
> to iconify it or switch using the pager before you can resize).

Nah, you can switch to another panel without using the pager, just by
moving the mouse onto the edge of the screen. And as long as you can see
any part of the window border, top bottom or sides, you can grab the
border there and resize it. Maybe yours is not configured for this.

> I've always preferred window managers that auto-resize when you click
> any edge of a window (like Windows does it), and Fvwm2 doesn't do that.

If by auto-resize you mean allows the mouse to resize it, then yes, fvwm2
does that if you want it to. It's optional.

> That's another beef I have with Fvwm2.  The background chooser (called the
> 'backer' module in Fvwm2) is broken, as far as I can see it.  You get two
> choices - "puke purple" (default) or "bunghole brown" (if you try and use
> the backer module).  Nothing else seems to work.  No pictures, nothing.
> The purple is bearable, though.

Try 'man bggen' and 'apropos root' and check out what tools you've got
available to mess with the root window. Later you could probably put a
few of your favourites in a new submenu, instead of FvwmBacker.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-