Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:24:08 -0800
From:      "3Phase" <Phase3@worldnet.att.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Chicken vs Egg

 FreeBSD 4.0 A full 4.4 BSD Lite Based 32-bit Operating System.

 The install kernel won't recognize and use DMA and LBA on my Compaq
Deskpro.
How do I activate DMA and LBA for my Deskpro BEFORE I partition the drive?
They are BOTH enabled in the BIOS.

DMA isn't that critical right this minute but `Bad things happen' if you
switch from CHS to LBA after installing partitions.

 I'm copying this from an envelope I wrote the dmesg text output on. No
printer, yet.

 pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> om motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller> port 0x1200-0x120f at device 20.1 on
pci0.
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0 (the Maxtor drive)
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0 (my cd-rom drive)
ad0: 43967MB <Maxtor54610H6> [8933/16/631] at ata0 master using BIOSPIO

ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 UltraSCSI adapter> port 0x1000-0x10ff mem
0x40000000-0x40000fff irq10 at device 14.0 on pci0.

 pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1274, dev=0x5880) at 13.0 irq9 on pci0 (my
Ensoniq soundcard, to be configured in the kernel RSN.)

 The book and the FAQ just say 'Make sure you enable DMA and LBA if your
system supports it."
My system supports it, it's enabled in the BIOS, the drives all support it,
but FreeBSD doesn't.

 I looked in the GENERIC kernel and it doesn't even have 'pci' bus, only isa
and eisa.
The ATA devices enumerated in the kernel all appear to be for old wd type
isa? drives/controllers.

 The book and the FAQ don't really mention much about PCI devices except to
mention "...installed in computers for several years..." but that's not
especially helpful for adding PCI devices and controllers to the kernel!

 I tried adding devices from the dmesg list but then config -g whines about
the devices not existing.
I tried the special kernel keyword to enable DMA but config -g spit it back
out at me.

 Okay, fine. I left ALL the drives and ALL the controllers out of the kernel
and recompiled with just the 'pci' bus included. That actually worked. :)

Still no DMA but it DOES boot.
Out of curiosity, has anyone actually written any docs for enabling the PCI
devices yet or should I just go on letting the kernel grope the drives every
time it boots?

-3P