Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2012 04:10:30 -0400
From:      grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard file permissions for /usr/local

> Given there is no context as to what these are and belong to the numbers
> below with the symbolic meaning are useless besides saying the system is

Oops, thought I had that noted. They are sort | uniq -c of the
permission column of find -ls.

> Blindly going through installed software with a massively large comb
> "chmod -R anything=anything" is a bad idea

Bad idea? Not really, I amended my tree as shown. As you can see,
I have about 80k files, 2k dirs and 2k links. All provided by 'packages'.
And out of those, I only need one divergent perm, that being Xorg,
not thousands.
I've no sensitive files there.
I don't need man to go around making catpages.
Nor sticky dirs for games.
Nor Schily's stuff in the bin group.
Or polkit priviledges.
Or whatever else.
As any admin, I know the environment and files, so I'm good with
the comb and pomade.
And it makes linting installs, security checks and other
things simpler if say you find / -perm +0044 and don't
have to wade through say, symlinks set to go+w.
Or have some other install fail because files aren't
writeable.
I amed it to reduce my working sets, and work, with other tools easier.
And to making finding what changes out from under you easier, etc.
No big deal, and not a debate about anyone's equally valid local usage.

Maybe I should rephrase... is there something, or a movement within ports,
to push mass gobs of files towards mode 0444 or 0644? A umask being
set in the build system? An install flag? Or is this just the raw result of
doing everything [1] unmodified umask 0022, tarring up the tbz's, and
putting them on FTP?

[1] Say, patch, ./configure, make, make install, hash +CONTENTS, tarball

My experience with ./configure, make, make install of original
upstream software releases, is that I think the majority of things
end up as I've amended, without the amending.

So I just wondered if there's a push in ports somewhere.

> Do you have anything relevant as to a particular port or package ?

This was a stats analysis, so particulars do not apply.