Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 21:36:29 -0500
From:      Sam Tannous <stannous@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   thinkpad t20 woes (creating slices)

I read the various posts of problems installing
freebsd (I'm using 4.2 stable) on an IBM thinkpad
T20.  The laptop freezes up (the BIOS apparently
can't handle a type 165 (0xA5) partition) and
the machine is completely useless.  Several people
suggested that type 166 (or even 133) would work.
I tried this with the freebsd-stable installer and
I was never able to create slices.  Has anyone had
any luck with an older version of the T20 BIOS?
Newer version?  I'm using 1.09.

(BTW, you can get the machine to come up if you pull out the
hard drive while it's booting up.  To remove it, remove the
one screw near the headphone jack on the bottom
of the machine, open the screen, and gently pull
out the drive.  You'll need some bootable CDROM
(I used a freebsd 4.2 CDROM) in place.  Once you
see the error message about the missing hard drive,
hit any key, the CDROM boots, and push in the hard
drive.  You can then chance the partition type to
something other then 165 with the freebsd installer)

Thanks,
Sam